[rt-users] Reply to address

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Tue Dec 30 12:23:21 EST 2003

Don't know about postfix, but I ran into something similar
recently.  I configured a machine whose dns arecord was
"machinename" and a cname of "domainname" pointing to it.
My naive intention was to use the cname as the publically
visible name, so I could move RT to another box later.

Well, sendmail itself translates the cname in To or From
into the arecord on the fly.  So even though I properly
sent mail to rt at domainname, it arrived addressed to
rt at machinename.

I couldn't find any way around this.  So for admin reasons
here, I'm going to assign a separate IP (with arecord).
The box will have it's machinename identity with one IP+arecord
and a second identity as rt with a separate IP (that I can
then move to another box.)

   bobg