[rt-users] Reply to address

rtusers-lists-fsck-com at jal.org rtusers-lists-fsck-com at jal.org
Tue Dec 30 14:14:20 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

> While we're using Postfix now too, I have to disagree about
> configuration -- I find a Sendmail m4 config at least as easy.  An,
> after all, even Eric Allman says cf files are "email assembly language"
> not for 99% of us to use directly.

I absolutely agree - the m4 config is just fine. It has been my
experience, though, that admins (myself included) don't follow best
practice all the time, and modify things directly, leading to cascading
failures. While one can wag fingers, using a tool that doesn't have
an intermediate step for configuration while still allowing direct
modification of the resulting config has a certain tendency to cause
failure in environments without strictly enforced policy.

In any case, I was only editorializing a bit, not trying to throw any
critical words.

-j, who learned all he needed to know about sendmail from the
towers-of-hanoi hack, and too much Bat book on an empty stomach.

S49
RHANOI:$+	$:1 2 3$1
R$-$-$-$*	$:$>49 $2$3$1$4[Move Top Disk Of Peg $1 To Peg $3]

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing
about the problem.