[rt-users] Re: speedycgi

Ambrose LI <acli@ada.dhs.org> via forwarder news-misc at ada.dhs.org
Thu Feb 6 22:12:44 EST 2003

Hi,

In article <1044520009.4413.73.camel at localhost.localdomain>,
Rehan van der Merwe <rehan at nha.co.za> wrote:

>I read in the docs that speedycgi is not supported yet.  Is
>there any of you who use it effectively in a production
>environment?  Is it really much faster than fastcgi and
>mod_perl?

yes, I have 2 boxes set up with RT running as SpeedyCGI. One
of them has intermittent problems, but it is probably not a
SpeedyCGI issue since that box has other problems as well.

I can't comment about SpeedyCGI vs mod_perl, since neither box
runs Apache. However, as for FastCGI vs SpeedyCGI, SpeedyCGI is
easier on the administrator for a couple of reasons:

1. You can tune SpeedyCGI for max number of scripts, max times
each script can run, etc; you can't do this with FastCGI.

2. When the web server exits/dies/crashes, FastCGI processes
stay in memory, but won't be reused by the web server when it
is restarted. I.e., if your web server dies a few times, you
can have dozens of "zombie" FastCGI processes filling up your
memory.

--
Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <a.c.li at ieee.org>