[rt-users] AnyTransactionSource - internal/external correspondence

Florian Weimer Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Wed Jan 1 12:58:15 EST 2003

I'm not sure if I've already described our approach to the
Correspond/Create transactions, which differs somewhat from the way
things are handled in standard RT--but I don't see anything on our web
server.

So here we go:

I've created a scrip condition which enables us to treat internal and
external correspondence differently.  The basic idea is that *you*
want to send mail to your requestors and Ccs, but duplicates are the
result when you resend replies sent by these people.  (And you can
cause mail loops, too!)  To tell internal sources of transactions from
external ones, we look at the originator and check wether he or her
has ModifyTicket rights on the ticket.  We keep these rights under
tight control, so this works reasonable well in our environment.

Here's an excerpt from the file AnyTransactionSource.pm:

# This condition can be used to obtain better control over the
# conditions under which replies are sent to requestors.  Transactions
# are divided in two categories: those of internal orgin, and those of
# external origin.  The origin is internal if the originator of a
# transaction has got ModifyTicket rights on the ticket, and the
# originator is not one of the requestors.
#
# The following ScripConditions are recommended:
#
#                       |                      |          | applicable
#          name         |      execmodule      | argument | transtypes
# ----------------------+----------------------+----------+------------
#  OnCreateExternal     | AnyTransactionSource | external | Create
#  OnCreateInternal     | AnyTransactionSource | internal | Create
#  OnCorrespondExternal | AnyTransactionSource | external | Correspond
#  OnCorrespondInternal | AnyTransactionSource | internal | Correspond
#
#
# Now it is possible to use the following scrips:
#
#   OnCreateExternal      AutoreplyToRequestors    Autoreply
#   OnCreateInternal      NotifyRequestorsAndCcs   Correspondence
#   OnCorrespondInternal  NotifyRequestorsAndCcs   Correspondence
#
# Plus the usual scrips to notify the AdminCCs.
#
# In such a setup, it is possible to create a new ticket and
# immediately enter the requestors and they will receive the standard
# correspondence messages (and not an autoreply for something they
# have never sent).  Furthermore, if a requestor replies to a ticket
# from a different email account, the reply won't be sent back to his
# requestor account.  Not only is this more consistent with user
# expectations, but it also reduces the risks of mail loops
# considerably. (Consequently, it is recommended to remove the

Get it from:

<http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/projects/rt/snippets/Action/AnyTransactionSource.pm>

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/