[rt-users] Questions on usernames and passwords

Binand Raj S. binand at gmx.net
Sun Jan 5 00:29:49 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 03:28:09PM +0100, Sebastian Flothow wrote:
> >I am creating a CanonicalizeAddress routine for my employer's use. It
> >would do
> >
> >$email =~ s/\@.*ourdomain\.com//i;
> >return $email;
> >
> >(Since the part before '@' in my company is unique, this is ok I
> >expect.)
>
> No, it isn't ok since RT will send mail to that address. And you
> probably get mail from other domains too, right?

Right. What I posted was indeed the wrong way to do it, which I figured almost
immediately after I hit 'y' :(

> >Another question: I want to assign a password and mail it back if the
> >ticket is indeed from someone in ourdomain.com
>
> Jesse posted a template snippet back in November:
> < http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-November/010705.html >

Thanks. I knew about this post, and had tried to search the archives,
but couldn't find it.

BTW, anyone who has a private copy of that post that you can bounce
to me?  The list archive version has mime junk all over it. :(

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 08:19:55AM -0800, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I understood, you have already some kind of
> external user database, and want to create those users in RT.
>
> Why don't you try to utilize some kind of external user authentication
> (this way the passwords are the same everywhere), and
> user importing?
>
> There are solutions with LDAP, which work fine with
> Microsoft Exchange/Active directory, and with any other LDAP service.

Ah, the premise is correct - in my organisation, the email addresses
are unique, and we are sort of standardizing on the part before the '@'
as usernames everywhere.

Unfortunately, the mail server does not use LDAP for authentication
(in hindsight, I guess I should have used LDAP).

I am not concerned with tickets opened by people who use other email
addresses - just the ones from @ourdomain.com. If it is from ourdomain.com,
I want the autocreated username to be minus the @ourdomain.com, and the full
email address otherwise. In either case, I want an autocreated password to be
mailed.

I hope that is clear :) Let me go back to the drawing board.

Binand