[rt-users] time delay in the queue

Ron Alexander Ralexander at musiciansfriend.com
Fri Jan 17 21:25:46 EST 2003

If all you want to do is email your boss if the ticket is unowned you
could probably do something like this:

# $Header:
/raid/cvsroot/rt-addons/ScripActions/EscalatePriority/EscalatePriority.pm,v 1.2 2001/06/22 23:50:37 jesse
Exp $

package RT::Action::EscalatePriority;
require RT::Action::Generic;
@ISA=qw(RT::Action::Generic);

#Do what we need to do and send it out.

#What does this type of Action does

# {{{ sub Describe
sub Describe  {
  my $self = shift;
   return (ref $self . " will escalate a ticket by emailing a big
boss.");
}
# }}}

# {{{ sub Prepare
sub Prepare  {
    my $self = shift;

if ($self->TicketObj->Owner = "Nobody") {

## INSERT YOUR MAIL CODE HERE?? or maybe you use a scrip condition to do
## it for you.
##probably RT already has a slick way to do this
##I am an RT novice and so what to do here escapes me
    }
}

That does remove all the priority stuff. Then you just cron up that
script. The downside is pretty obvious. Your boss is going to get upset
if the volume gets to heavy. Probably because every 5 minutes all day
Saturday and Sunday the ticket that was created Friday at 5:00 is going
to be emailing him. (576 times over a two day period, ouch). You could
certainly fine-tune a script that would in fact check to see if people
should be at work taking ownership of tickets before you send your poor
big boss 576 emails over the weekend. Maybe you could fine tune your
cron to not work on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays?

Or... You could just set have your boss open up the search page. Set up
the queue the boss is responsible for with owner = "Nobody". Set it to
refresh every 5 minutes.

Or... You could write a script that directly accesses the database every
5 minutes and jams a quick email if the owner is nobody (Select id from
Tickets where Owner = "Nobody").

The search page is IMHO your best option. The only downside is that it
isn't quite as 'in your face' as email. I guess bosses have slick email
clients that say "You've got mail" and they wouldn't get that reminder.

Good Luck,
Ron

--
* Ron Alexander             ralexander at musiciansfriend.com *