[rt-users] Using SSL?

Steve Wampler sbw at tapestry.tucson.az.us
Sat Jul 5 16:50:19 EDT 2003

I've got RT version 3.0.3 running (once I learned to read)
on Red Hat 8.0 with Apache 2, postgresql and sendmailpipe.
However, it's running using port 80.  I'd like to move it
to SSL on port 443, but have a problem with email handling
when I try.

What I've done:

Apache:

    In http.conf, changed the virtual host over to SSL
    on port 80, enabled certificates, etc.

RT:

    In /opt/rt3/etc/*Site*, changed the Web URL to use 'https'
    and port '443'.

This seems to work fine, I can login via https and browse
through tickets, update them, etc.

Mail:

    In /etc/aliases, changed the urls on the rt-mailgate pipes
    to use https and port 443.

This doesn't work, no email goes out, instead email is:

  (Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL)

Of course, backing out the changes to /etc/aliases doesn't
work either - same message.

However, backing out the changes to /etc/aliases,
    /opt/rt3/etc/*Site*, and /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
    [that is, giving up on using SSL] works fine, as expected.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  I'd *much* prefer
to  use SSL to protect passwords on login, etc.

Thanks,
Steve
--
Steve Wampler <sbw at tapestry.tucson.az.us>