[rt-users] Remote Database Connect problem

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Jul 9 14:18:40 EDT 2003

We lost a hard drive yesterday without proper preparations for this in
place.  It was a RT2 install and I've got all the data but having a hell
of a time getting the new install to work.  I also decided to use a
database (PostgreSQL) on another system this time.
   I can connect from another system so I know TCP connections are good
and I've made sure I have the right pg_hdb.conf entries (and restarted the
database :-) for the system running RT.  Heck I'm pretty sure I made the
correct entires in the Makefile.

When I run make install this is the output.

make install
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/bin
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/WebRT/data
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/WebRT/sessiondata
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/etc
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/lib
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/WebRT/html
mkdir -p //opt/rt2/local/WebRT/html
/usr/bin/perl   tools/initdb 'Pg' '/usr'
'db.mycompany.com' '5432' 'postgres' 'rt2' create
Now creating a database for RT.
Enter the Pg password for postgres:
Creating Pg database rt2.
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/DBI.pm line 584, <STDIN> line 1.
DBI connect('dbname=template1;host=db.mycompany.com;port=5432','postgres',...)
failed:  at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line
74
could not connect to server: Connection refused at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 74, <STDIN>
line 1.
make: *** [createdb] Error 255

Increminating information has been changed to protect the guilty.

It has been a long and interesting process to re-install and I may have
buggered it by manually (perl -MCPAN -e shell;) installing some packages
that failed during a make fixdeps.

The wolves are nipping at my heals and I've thrown every excuse to them I
could.

Any ideas or guidance?

TIA,
Rod