[rt-users] Remote Database Connect problem

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Jul 10 13:51:17 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Harald Wagener wrote:

Short reply is I got it working!

> I don't know much about postgres, but this seems the postgres server
> does not want You to connect from that server with that
> username/password combination. Have You checked

Yup!  I've seen far to many of this mistake (and once or twice made it).

The longer answer is three-fold.  There was an IP assigned twice, an ARP
table entry that didn't go away after fixing the IP problem, and the
requirement to have psql installed on the RT system.

> - If postgresql is correctly configured to accept tcp connections from
> another machine?
>
> - If You can connect using the command line interface with the username
> and password You intend to use?
>
> - If the RT configuration file is clean, i.e. no blanks, tabs or other
> unprintable characters after the username or password in the Makefile?

Thanks for the response.

Rod