[rt-users] Redhat RPMs?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Jul 11 13:29:38 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Sean Perry wrote:

I feel your pain.  I did this once before (then lost the HD on that
server) so did it again for RT2.  We want to go to RT3 and be able to
recover if the hardware should go south again.  In fact we're going to
have a standby waiting so there is _very_ minimal down time.

> I just finished a by hand install on RH8.  The things that took me a
> while to get were:
>
> a) all of the perl depends.  This was a complete mess.  Took me the
> better part of a day to get everything installed an working.
> WWW::Mechanize in particular did not install gracefully and I had to
> hand install it (ignoring the failed make test).

I'll look at the fixdeps stuff and friends to determine what is needed
and try using cpan2rpm to build the RPMs.

> Several of the perl modules from CPAN refused to install and I had to
> fall back to the rpms from RH8.

Hum.  I kind of noticed this but then found I was missing some local
utilities and once they were in place things worked 'better'.  We'll see
if the gods smile brighter on me than you. :-)
   I did discover that I needed psql (PostgreSQL command interface) to
build the remote database.  I hope to overcome this issue if it hasn't
already been done by using DBI for everything.  Anyone in the know know if
the mysql command tool is used to build its database?

> Getting real RPMS for all of the perl depends would go a LONG way to
> making rt easier to install, faster too.
>
> b) I needed Active Directory support and I wanted apache2 so I went with
> the absolute latest versions of apache and mod_perl.  Everything seems
> kosher but it took some doing.

Mod_perl2 is working?  Jesse and Robert mentioned at OSCON that some
people have had luck with Apache2 and mod_perl2 while others haven't.

Rod