[rt-users] Out going email problem solved

Miles Scruggs midgard at garnetws.com
Tue Jul 15 22:24:01 EDT 2003

I spent many hours these last few months trying to get RT to send outgoing
mail.  Turns out there is a little undocumented (at least as far as I can
find) feature/bug.

If

$CorrespondAddress = 'RT::CorrespondAddress.not.set';
$CommentAddress = 'RT::CommentAddress.not.set';

are not set, and no queue specific email address is given then outgoing mail
will not be sent.  RT will give   NO ERRORS and one could assume that the
mail has been sent.  MTA logs will show zero activity, and there appears to
be a black hole.

While it is safe to assume that everyone will want to set these before
production, it doesn't seem mandatory, especially for someone who is just
trying the program out and wants to test it, before tweaking all the setting
for production.

Can someone please document this in the manual, and add a note to the config
file settings.

"$CorrespondAddress and $CommentAddress are the default addresses that will
be listed in From: and
by a queue-specific
address."

It needs to be noted that outgoing mail will not work without this being
set.

There have been at least 5 people that have mailed me about this problem
since I posted to the list multiple times about not being able to get
outgoing mail working.

Miles Scruggs