[rt-users] Re: Writing custom scrips in RT 3.0 web interface

Phil R Lawrence prlawrence at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Jul 16 05:02:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:54:07 +0200
michab <micha_rt at internetx.de> wrote:

> hi harald,
>
> before you gave me answeres that won_t help me in any way,
> please take a look to my email first...
>
> 1) i don_t want to "manipulate the RT database directly", i don_t want to
> change an existing table, i added one.... that's all till now...
>
> 2) i want to make a select on this table - THAT_S ALL
>
> i would be very happy if somebody would be able to give an short example here.
> these are 5 lines of code for somebody who is familiar with that.

micha,

Respectfully, I agree with harold.  Please consider that the RT community seems to prefer all new development to use and sharpen the API.  This is a discipline that may take extra time in the short-term, but will only strengthen the value of future versions.

If you insist on going directly to the db...  no problem!  I have done so myself on one occasion after I was certain I understood what I was doing.  If you want to do this then go to a mailing list for mySQL, PostgreSQL, DBI, or whatever, and ask them to help with your SELECT needs.  Of course all of this imples that you desire to take on the responsibility of revision management for yet another piece of software in your shop...  future releases of RT will more likely require modifications to your custom code than if you had used the API.

I get the feeling that most people on this list will only take time to assist you if you decide to work within or extend the API.  That doesn't indicate unfriendliness, just their chosen priorities.  :-)

prl