[rt-users] rt3 sends emails from "nobody".. ? help!

Val Luck VLuck at VMdirect.com
Tue Jun 10 18:55:54 EDT 2003

Kenneth,

Thanks so much for the info.  As it turns out, I discovered the same thing with more research.  I did get the -f and -r flags to work.

I ended up adding a line to the SendEmail.pm module to add an Errors-To header, which worked flawlessly.  (RT users, is there a way to configure a Errors-To destination in the Config file?  If not, is there a process submit modified/updated/fixed code for future versions of RT?)

However, I'll never get it to work because I can not depend on remote MTAs maintaining the [ticket ##] information in the subject line, so if it is forwarded back to RT it ends up creating a new ticket. :-(  Has anyone devised a workaround for this?

Thanks again Kenneth!

Val

-----Original Message-----
From: kenneth dombrowski [mailto:kenneth at ylayali.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 5:59 AM
To: Val Luck
Subject: Re: [rt-users] rt3 sends emails from "nobody".. ? help!

Hi Val,

in case you haven't had another reply,

it's definitely a postfix thing. I use exim so can't tell you exactly
what the equivalent is, but exim has a trusted_users setting which
allows specified users to set their own From: header, and not have exim
add a Sender: header (or perhaps exim will set the trusted_user's
Sender: to the From: rather than the actual system account..). My debian
server runs apache as "www-data", but most distros use "nobody"... looks
like yours does. I'm not sure about the order (or the rfc#) but I think
it's this: if an Errors-to: is defined, bounces will go there, if not,
Sender: is used, and only as a last resort will bounces go to the From:
address

a google for "postfix trusted_users" returns an interesting NeoMail
configuration thread,

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2000-04/0079.html

which implies there's actually not an equivalent to trusted_users, but
that you can achieve the same effect with the -r flag to sendmail

I didn't look further than that,

Kenneth