[rt-users] Apache 2.x vs 1.x - and external auth

seph seph at directionless.org
Wed Jun 18 00:07:12 EDT 2003

> Now that I'm doing a new install, with 3.x instead of 2.x, I want to
> start with the right infrastructure to set it up so that I can:
> 1) do external authentication to (either kerberized windows
> authentication or LDAP authentication - through w2k active directory).

the way you say that, makes me think of something that authorizes to
either the tickets a user has cached on their local machine. I believe
this will be Very Hard, if even possible. I don't think there's a
useful way for the browser to send that auth along. Of course, maybe
you just mean having apache check the password it gets against one of
those backends...

> My assumptions:
> 1) Apache 2.x handles external LDAP authentication better (or at least
> it is easier to set up) than Apache 1.x.

I would not assume this. As mentioned above, I assume your apache is
doing basic auth, and you're trying to verify the
username/password. There are several ways to do that in apache 1.x,
and I assume apache 2.x as well.

> 3) fastcgi could work with Apache 2.x to support RT 3.x ?

fastcgi works fine with RT3. I have no experience with apache 2.x

seph