[rt-users] RT3 mailgate questions

seph seph at directionless.org
Thu Mar 13 14:40:30 EST 2003

> I've had RT2 up and running successfully for a while, and I'm working
> on a new implementation based on RT3, and I have a couple of questions
> about the new httpd-based mailgate:

my understanding, and I haven't stared at the mailgate yet, is that it
tries to post to the NoAuth portion of the RT wuib UI.

> 1) The docs state that a user needs to be set up for the mailgate with
> permissions to create tickets, but nothing mentions how to configure
> the mailgate to use that user.  How is that done?

dunno, I think it'd be okay if you gave Everybody the rights, not sure
if you want to do that though. Otherwise, ISTR seeing a patch either
on rt-users or rt-devel that would make the mailgate supply a username
and password for for Apache's Basic Auth.

> 2) I'm using external authentication for the web UI (we have a custom
> apache module that talks to our kerberos server to handle
> authentication), but that won't work for the mailgate.  Do I just need
> to set up an alternate URL that uses apache basic authentication to
> accept mail from the mailgate, or can RT be set to fall back to
> internal authentication if the webserver doesn't authenticate?

NoAuth, or the above mentioned patch.

seph