[rt-users] Re: Installation of 3.0 RC1 - no go.

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Mar 17 08:56:33 EST 2003

Shmulik Gazit writes:

> for somebody who tried to install 2.0 five times and never got it to work
> fully (on redHat 7.3), I didn't understand so much what was overhauled since
> it is basically the same test/install cpan song and dance all over again. It
> is beyond me why a software should download 2 dozens (at least?) of modules,
> that change every day, and even one of them can break your installtion,
> instead of coming ready for installation with tried and true modules.

That would only work with one OS. And if you have the modules allready,
you'd waste space and compilcate everything even more so.

> I just
> know that a windows app, as free as it may be, would have never been
> installed like that by anyone, no matter how much promise it held.

I cannot comment on 3.0, but I tried to install 2.0.14 on several OSs
several times before I came to success.

The problem(s) could be:
 - your Linux-distribution has heavily modified the PERL-version is delivers
on
 CD, so that it works better with its own packaging system.
  -> SuSE 7.2 had this problem for me. The "solution" was to compile a PERL
in
 /usr/local/perl from source
 - the PERL your distribution/OS comes with is too old
  -> (like the PERL from FreeBSD 4.x). Again, installing a newer PERL in a
different
      location helps

In the end, I installed perl5.6 from FreeBSD-ports and the missing modules
via ports and the RT-install script. It worked instantly.
There's now a FreeBSD-port for 2.0.x that is supposed to install everything
automatically, but I haven't tried that.

Rainer
Rainer Duffner                   Munich
rainer at ultra-secure.de          Germany
http://www.i-duffner.de        Freising