[rt-users] Installation of 3.0 RC1 - no go.

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Mon Mar 17 10:49:17 EST 2003

Am Sonntag, 16.03.03 um 22:21 Uhr schrieb Shmulik Gazit:

> Hello,
>
> Following an advice from a frined who installed 3.0 on Madrake 9.0
> (and is
> away for two weeks), I decided to try. I'm not an expert in
> linux/unix, and
> most of what I know is from reading manuals/internet data regarding
> what I'm
> trying to do.
>
> I installed Mandrake 9.0, the sendmail rpm, compiled apache 1.3 and
> modperl
> static as was written, and started the RT installtion.
>
> Jesse claimed that in 3.0:
> * The installation process has been overhauled. Autoconf
> 	  (./configure) make installation easier than ever before.

And it does. You can specify a lot of the distribution specific
features (i.e., which user apache runs as) as a configure option,
whereas You had to munge the Makefile before. Autoconf is no magic
bullet for installation problems, though.

> for somebody who tried to install 2.0 five times and never got it to
> work
> fully (on redHat 7.3), I didn't understand so much what was overhauled
> since
> it is basically the same test/install cpan song and dance all over
> again.

As someone who installed 2.0 successfully on diferent RH 7.x releases,
I thought the RT installation was explained very well in the
documentation. I never had any problems with RT that could not be
helped by the friendly people partaking this or the rt-devel list
pointing me to the right spots in the documentation and/or contrib
areas.

> It
> is beyond me why a software should download 2 dozens (at least?) of
> modules,
> that change every day, and even one of them can break your installtion,
> instead of coming ready for installation with tried and true modules.

'make testdeps' finds out if tried and true modules are available.
'make fixdeps' installs them the perl way - which is quite appropriate
for a perl based program like RT. locking down on one flavor of unix,
or distribution, like one of the BSDs or one of the Linux distribution,
would greatly limit RT's appeal for me. I mean, it can even run on OSX
(IIRC, jesse's main development box is an apple powerbook or somesuch).

>  I just
> know that a windows app, as free as it may be, would have never been
> installed like that by anyone, no matter how much promise it held.

Please keep in mind that RT is not a windows application, but a piece
of server software. It is a compley piece of software dpending on a lot
of other stuff enabling it to do it's complex stuff(trouble ticketing
is not easy). It is intended to be used by people having enough
experience to ask questions in a friendly manner at the right places.
This is one such place.

> test-dependencies/install couldn't install apache::session because
> apache:request didn't want to get installed,

The problems with apreq are documented ( check the mailing list
archives). It comes up now and again, and You are not the only one
bitten by this.

>  complaing about a db_file.pm
> that was missing in the @INC path. downloading it from cpan and trying
> install revieled that I have to download and install Berkely_DB from
> some
> site.

That would be the www.sleepycat.com site, yes? AFAIK, the Berkeley db
comes as an RPM for Mandrake 9.0 as well. See (danger, URL broken by
line wrapping)

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/
search.php?query=db3&submit=Search+...&system=mandrake&arch=

for details. speakeasy.rpmfind.net  is a great source to find out if
RPMs for Your distribution and software package are available.

>  Now I'm sure that this is not the way to go since I haven't read it
> anywhere, but I did anyway, installed, got db_file installed and then
> tried
> apache::request again. It failed testing again and again

this probably means that You did not installed, which in turn means RT
is missing one of it's prerequisites it needs for running properly.

Did You try a 'force install'? Did You try a manual installation of the
apreq package?

>  when it wouldn't
> connect to the /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd that was running, on port
> 80,
> user=apache and group=rt, as was in httpd.conf (the whole apache tree
> is
> chown apache:rt). but I "make install" it anyway.

What did You 'make install'? The apreq or RT? RT won't run without
apreq.
Which version of apache did You compile? Apache 2.0.x won't be doing
very well at the moment.

> My mysql is running, since I can connect to it with mysql and run
> queries.
> RT's installtion couldn't connect claiming:
>
> Password: DBI->connect(;host=localhost) failed: Can't connect to local
> MySQL
> server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at
> //opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80
> Failed to connect to dbi:mysql:;host=localhost as root: Can't connect
> local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at
> //opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80, <STDIN> line 1.
> make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

What is the output od 'make testdeps'?
What does 'ls -l /var/lib/mysql.sock' return?

> Is it that I didn't install MySQL correctly, or something is missing
> with
> the dependencies?
>
> did anybody install on a Mandrake 9.0 and has full installation notes
> from
> the CD insertion to full RT working?

Sorry, can't help You with that. But I got RT 3.0.0rc1 'mostly working'
on RedHat 8.0, and that also included a lot of struggle (check the
archives...). I guess that the remaining problems are self-inflicted
also, since a lot of other people seem to be running RT-3.0 in
production-level test setups (means: it's a test environment for them -
it would be a production environment for me).

Regards,
     Harald

--
Harald Wagener * FCB/Wilkens * An der Alster 42 * 20099 Hamburg