[rt-users] multiple email addresses for one user

John Gedeon jgedeon at qualcomm.com
Fri Mar 21 11:51:14 EST 2003

At 05:16 AM 3/21/2003, you wrote:
>* Ben Goodwin <ben at atomicmatrix.net> [2003-03-21 07:38]:
> > Is there anyone who's dealt with consolidating mutliple email
> > addresses that a single user has into one account?  This would require
> > modifying the system to hold multiple emails for one user, and sending
> > correspondence out the first email listed, no?  We'd like to
> > accurately track individuals, not all 10 email addresses they happen
> > to have.  I can probably do the mods myself but didn't want to
> > reinvent the wheel...
>
>There is a function (RT2: CanonicalizaAddress in etc/config.pm; RT3:
>CanonicalizeEmailAddress, in lib/RT/User_Overlay.pm) that lets you map
>multiple email addresses to one address; you could begin your search
>there.

I believe that function only works right if you know the standard format of
the emails people will use. For example if i have john at example.com and
j_g at sample.org and jhq at why.com how would you use the
CanonicalizeEmailAddress function to associate those with the same user,
even if they had the same domain unless you could look up the emails in an
LDAP directory which stored all the emails as well as the username used in
LDAP and RT.

That make sense to anyone else besides me?

John

--
<>< Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on
your own understanding;