[rt-users] multiple email addresses for one user

John Gedeon jgedeon at qualcomm.com
Fri Mar 21 12:19:04 EST 2003

>Yes, that is exactly correct.  But, I'm assuming that there is some way
>of automatically mapping usernames that come in via email to a canonical
>username.  This might be /etc/aliases, a NIS map, an LDAP query, or
>possibly something even more baroque, but there has to be some sort of
>automated way to map email addresses to usernames.
>
>In the example you use above, what you need is effectively:
>
>   %address_to_user = (
>     # Email address     => RT Username
>     'john at example.com'  => 'john',
>     'j_g at sample.org'    => 'john',
>     'jhq at why.com'       => 'john',
>   );
>
>   sub CanonicalizeAddress {
>       my $address = shift;
>       return $address_to_user{$address};
>   }
>
>Though (hopefully!) %address_to_user come from a lookup to an existing
>system.

I agree an that is (for the most part) what I did to solve that problem at
our site. Here people can have up to 5 aliases so we could have johng or
jgedeon etc so I use an ldap look up to find all the email aliases for a
user and pick the one that is their unix user account to store and use in
rt. It seems to be working for us so Ben you may look at doing something
similar.

John

--
<>< Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on
your own understanding;