[rt-users] Old browsers and RT3rc3

Stewart James stewart.james at vu.edu.au
Mon Mar 24 17:29:16 EST 2003

> > * after login I got an error because for some reason the URL was reduced
> > to "/Ticket"
> I'd bet quite strongly that that's a configuration error, not a bug in RT.

Looks like you could be right. Now i have had a chance to look deeper into
this, my installation is not Returning anything from the code for the FORM
(<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="<% (UNIVERSAL::can($r, 'uri') && ($r->uri) =~
m!.*/(.*)!) %>" >). It seems to fail at the UNIVERSAL::can($r, 'uri')
portion (I ttested by doing (UNIVERSAL::can($r, 'uri') || "HELLO"), which
of course means the second part is not functioning and the web page is
getting a ACTION="" which seems to be occuring for mozilla aswell,
obviously moz is alot saner in how it handles ACTION="" than netscape.

> Netscape 4 is one of the most horribly broken pieces of crap out there,
> with regard to Cascading Style Sheets. It would be one thing if it just
> didn't support them, but no. It supports them _wrong_.  When building
> RT3, we had a choice between having our UI work well in a wide variety
> of current browsers (including Mozilla, Netscape 6, IE5 and 6, lynx and w3m)
> or having it work well in Netscape 4.  If you need support for netscape
> 4, Best Practical can of course build you a custom frontend designed for
> Netscape 4.

I have to agree with you on this. If it was not in such wide use I would
be happy to ignore the problems myself, The prefs/logout one is a stupid
problem (for some bizarre reason Netscape 4 wants a second closing SPAN),
and I do not care about the Login box being hard left. Now if I can just
figure out why UNIVERSAL::can is failing things should be OK.

I have no intention of making the system look as pretty in NS4 as it does
in any decent browser, but I will have to be sure it functionally works.

IF anyone can tip me off as to why UNIVERSAL::can is failing it would
really be appreciated. I'm running debian woody with perl 5.6.1 (Package
Version: 5.6.1-8.2).

Cheers,

Stewart