[rt-users] Frustrated

Glen Davison glen at maths.unsw.edu.au
Mon Mar 24 18:32:40 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 12:55:09PM -0600, pjackson at arterystudio.com wrote:
> Alirght guys/gals - I need some guidance.  Below is my config ..
> Now creating a database for RT.
> Enter the mysql password for root:
> Creating mysql database rt2alpha.
> DBD::mysql::db do failed: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' to database '
> rt2alpha' at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 77, <
> STDIN> line 1.
> Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' to database 'rt2alpha' at /usr/lib/perl
> 5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 77, <STDIN> line 1.
> make: *** [createdb] Error 11
> [root at fusion rt-2-0-13]#
>
> -----------
>
> I am, without question, uber-confused.  Spent the majority of my weekend with
> this to no avail.  Anybody have any insight?  I did read the comments in the
> lists archives, however, didn't quite find the answer.  Another interesting
> note - I did get the db to build once as 'rt2' however, it failed at the 'group
> name'.  After doing that, I cant drop the old rt2 db.  I get the following
> error:
>
> -----------
> Dropping mysql database rt2alpha.
> DBD::mysql::db do failed: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' to database '
> rt2' at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 77, <
> STDIN> line 2.
> Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' to database 'rt2' at /usr/lib/perl
> 5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 77, <STDIN> line 2.
>
> -----------
>
> ...weird because I am using root permissions.  I also cannot drop this db
> through mySQL - something whacked with the perm's.
>
> OK ... so, that's that.  If anyone is interested in making a couple bucks and
> doing the install, this would also be an option as I've wasted tons of time
> messing with this.
>
> ANY HELP would be oh so great.
>
> Phillip C. Jackson

Well, you say it's fixed anyway, but in case this is useful:  your errors
sound very similar to what I was facing last week: the DBD::mysql::db do failed
on line 77 etc.  I emailed the list, but no-one had an answer.

After incredible frustration, I discovered that I needed to change the
permissions or ownership on the mysql files ie. chmod ... /var/lib/mysql/*
(I spent days looking in the wrong place - perl modules; I have v. little
exp with DBs)

Good luck with version 3.

Glen Davison