[rt-users] Questions about Import tool for RT3

Douglas E. Warner dwarner at ctinetworks.com
Wed Mar 26 14:32:57 EST 2003

After upgrading to RT3, I found that just viewing the front page took 10-12
seconds.  First some basic info: RH7.3, Apache 1.3.27, mod_perl 1.26, mysql
4.0.12; approx 9200 tickets and 3800 users.
I was watching 'show full processlist' while loading the frontpage, and just
picked a query to explain; this is what I caught:

mysql> explain SELECT ACL.id from ACL, Groups, Principals, CachedGroupMembers
WHERE  (ACL.RightName = 'SuperUser' OR  ACL.RightName = 'SeeQueue') AND
Principals.Disabled = 0 AND CachedGroupMembers.Disabled = 0  AND
Principals.id = Groups.id AND  Principals.id = CachedGroupMembers.GroupId AND
CachedGroupMembers.MemberId = '24' AND ( ACL.ObjectType = 'RT::System' OR
(ACL.ObjectType = 'RT::Queue' AND ACL.ObjectId = '15')) AND ( (
ACL.PrincipalId = Principals.id AND ACL.PrincipalType = 'Group' AND
(Groups.Domain = 'SystemInternal' OR Groups.Domain = 'UserDefined' OR
Groups.Domain = 'ACLEquivalence' OR Groups.Domain = 'Personal')) OR (
((Groups.Domain = 'RT::Queue-Role' AND Groups.Instance = '15')  )  AND
Groups.Type = ACL.PrincipalType AND Groups.Id = Principals.id AND
Principals.PrincipalType = 'Group')  ) LIMIT 1;
+--------------------+--------+-------------------------+------------+---------+---------------------------+------+--------------------------+
| table              | type   | possible_keys           | key        | key_len
| ref                       | rows | Extra                    |
+--------------------+--------+-------------------------+------------+---------+---------------------------+------+--------------------------+
| Groups             | range  | PRIMARY,Groups1,Groups2 | Groups1    |     130
| NULL                      | 7463 | Using where; Using index |
| Principals         | eq_ref | PRIMARY                 | PRIMARY    |       4
| Groups.id                 |    1 | Using where              |
| CachedGroupMembers | ref    | DisGrouMem,GrouMem      | DisGrouMem |      12
| Principals.id,const,const |    1 | Using where; Using index |
| ACL                | range  | ACL1                    | ACL1       |      54
| NULL                      |   10 | Using where; Using index |
+--------------------+--------+-------------------------+------------+---------+---------------------------+------+--------------------------+
4 rows in set (0.01 sec)

The part that concerned me was that the Groups table matched 7463 rows; that
seemed like a lot to me, so I did the following query:

mysql> select count(*) from Groups;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|    39550 |
1 row in set (0.12 sec)

39550 groups? I only have 3800 users; after doing 'select * from Groups' I
noticed many of the group names are null, and there are 4 different ticket
roles for each instance (CC, AdminCC, Owner, Requestor).  Any idea why this
table is so huge?  The Groups table in my RT2 instance has only 8 rows.

- -Doug

- --
Douglas E. Warner    <dwarner at ctinetworks.com>     Network Engineer
CTI/PAdotNET         http://ctinetworks.com        +1 717 975 9000