[rt-users] Custom Script and Template HOWTO

Jason Alexander jason-alexander at uiowa.edu
Sat Mar 29 11:09:53 EST 2003

Hello.

We are looking at implementing RT for tracking Security Complaints for our
campus.
We seem to have most things up and working well.   The one thing that I can
seem to
find is a way to generate output messages from the system.

Here's what I would like to do.   We receive a complaint and we open a
ticket by sending
the message into the Queue mail address.  A ticket is opened and we have a
large number
of custom fields that we fill in.  Then we often fill out one of many
different form letters and send
that to the department responsible for the machine.

I figured out how to put all the form letters in templates but I'm having a
hard time figuring out how
to trigger these from the scripts.

First of all I can't find anything in the documentation about User Defined
Contritions or Actions form
the scripts.

Second of all I'm not sure how to trigger the sending of the messages.   I
was thinking of setting up a
custom field that could be set to the type of letter I wanted to send
out.  Then use the script to look
at this field and do a send message of some type.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.  Someone must have wanted to do
this before.

thanks
Jason

Jason Alexander