[rt-users] How to tie RT to Exchange 5.5?

'Russ Johnson' russj at dimstar.net
Mon Mar 31 14:10:14 EST 2003

* Ferguson, Kevin <KFerguso at chi.navtech.com> [2003-03-31 11:03]:
> > As far as RT getting mail from an exchange server, simply
> > tell your exchange server to forward a copy of the mail from
> > the receiving account to your RT account.
> > Be forwarned however, that what we've seen is that Exchange
> > doesn't appear to forward the mail immediately. This wouldn't
> > be a problem, except we've also seen cases where someone will
> > look at the message in exchange, and then exchange never
> > forwards a copy to rt.
>
> Our Exchange admin set the inbound address (rt at example.com) as
> a distribution list with the RT address (rt at rt.example.com) as
> the only member.  The RT local sendmail points to our mail gateway
> as its smart relay.

Yeah, after checking with our Exchange admin, that's exactly what he did. And YES, it still won't forward a message that's come in, and read in exchange, before the message is forwarded.

I suspect the exchange has a subthread that forwards the message, but only forwards unread messages.

You can test this by sending a message into exchange, and reading it, in Outlook, as soon as it hits that mailbox.

You won't see this behavior unless you have people reading messages in Outlook, as well as Exchange.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #5 (Collect all 18)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi