[rt-users] How do queue based custom fields interact between queues?

Kelly F. Hickel kfh at mqsoftware.com
Wed May 7 14:31:57 EDT 2003

We're looking to put rt3 into use for a couple of different purposes
here, and I'm trying to figure out how we're going to set up our custom
fields.

Let's say that I have 3 queues, one for support, one for development,
and one for our internal IT help desk.

For the dev and support queues, I'm going to want fields like customer
name, product version, etc., that I don't want for the internal IT
tickets.

If I create those under global, they will show up for all.  If I create
them on the dev queue, then take a dev ticket and move it to support,
the fields disappear, but they come back (with the right values) if I
move it back to dev.  If I create a custom field in support with the
same name and values, the value doesn't migrate from dev to support, but
still comes back when you move it back to dev (presumably the customer
fields have a unique internal id, even though the names are the same).

So, I guess the question comes down to whether or not there's a way to
create a custom field that is used by more than one queue, without
making it a global CF?  I'm guessing that there isn't, but it seems like
it would be nice.  Maybe implemented as a queue property, you could have
a check next to each global CF, saying whether or not it's valid for
this queue......

Kelly F. Hickel

Senior Software Architect

MQSoftware, Inc