[rt-users] mailgate and EX_TEMPFAIL

Christian Gilmore cag at us.ibm.com
Thu May 8 16:22:52 EDT 2003

Harald Wagener wrote:
> What happens if You do
> '/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate < bla.txt', where bla.txt is a genuine
> message ?

Here is what happened.

        norad1% /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate < ~/foo
        /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate invoked improperly

        No url provided to mail gateway!

        norad1% /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --url http://norad1.tivoli.com/rt
< ~/foo
        An Error Occurred
        =================

        401 Authorization Required

Looks like this may be the problem. I read in the rt-mailgate POD about
needing an RT user for gateway, but I've not seen any documentation that
tells me how to tell the mailgate which user/password to use. I carefully
read the RT3 PDF sections that would pertain to mail and saw no mention of
needing this user.

Also, I see that the setgid bit is set in RT2 but not in RT3. I'm assuming
that, since it is attempting to talk to the database via the web service,
mailgate no longer needs the setgid bit.

Jesse Vincent wrote:
> the mail gateway has a --debug flag. It might be helpful to hand-pipe a
> message to it with that flag enabled to see what the server says...

I have that flag set. Not a bit of logging is done, though. Here's what I
have set:

        webreq: "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --debug --queue webreq --action
correspond
        --url http://norad1.tivoli.com/rt"

        Set($LogToSyslog    , 'debug');
        Set($LogToScreen    , undef);
        Set($LogToFile      , 'debug');
        Set($LogToFileNamed , "$LogDir/rt.log.$$");    #log to
rt.log.<pid>.<user>

Thank you both for responding!

Thanks,
Christian