[rt-users] RT3 Speed Info

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Thu May 8 18:44:39 EDT 2003

Jesse Vincent wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:32:58AM +0100, Simon Woodward wrote:
> > Table		RT2 Data Rows:	RT3 Imported Data Rows:
> >
> > GroupMembers	35		116012
> > Groups		15		171333

FWIW, I've just embarked on a 2.0->3.0 upgrade, and:

Table               RT2 Data Rows:  RT3 Imported Data Rows:

GroupMembers        210             87718
Groups               25             96932
CachedGroupMembers                 259639

(~20k tickets, 9k users)

> RT's data model changed somewhat between RT2 and RT3. The 'watchers'
> system in RT2 was replaced with a more flexible groups system in rt3.
> Most of those groups and group members are actually queue and ticket
> roles. It might be possible to re-cast the code to lazy-create them, but
> unless someone can show me proof that this is what's killing some folks
> performance, I'm not motivated to make the change.

I have no proof as yet, but with the above dataset I'm seeing the
same kind of performance issues as have been reported here.
There is no one query that bottoms out on this; however I do see
several (20-30) seconds of nothing but ACL queries[0] every time I
visit certain pages (the "home" page, and "ModifyAll" page are good
indicators here.) Each query completes in under a second, however
when you add 56 of those queries together, the response time does
blow out -- around a minute for the homepage, and half that for a
ModifyAll (jumbo) page display.

[0] "SELECT ACL.id from ACL, Groups, Principals, CachedGroupMembers .."

--
Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, www.SnapGear.com
pdh at snapgear.com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630