[rt-users] Allowing a 'group' of customers to see certain tickets in a queue

Jeremy Doran fox-rt_users at vulpes.net
Fri May 9 13:50:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 09:38, Jim Goss wrote:
> I would really like to see this as well.  There is no
> clean way to do it - though someone once sent me a
> patch they had whipped up to achieve similar
> functionality.  Some other things to do:
>
>  * Create a separate queue for each user then give
> them rights to see all tickets in that queue
>     - I don't like this but may consider it when I
> apply a previous change someone else provided a while
> ago to remove the Configuration tab from the menu of
> privileged users.
>     - I don't want customers to even be able to see
> the config or other customer names, etc.

Since this is for our main support queue, splitting out that queue into
lots of little queues would be a major PITA.

>  * Write a custom scrip to keep track of which users
> are part of which groups, then when a request comes
> from a user in a given group, assign other members of
> that group to the ticket as requestors as well.
>     - I haven't done this since I don't know how
> custom scrips are written in 3.0 and am not a major
> perl guy to figure out how to do it on my own.

I guess that is the current fall-back option, but I really dislike this
for the reason that User_B from company1.com might be User_A's manager,
and only wish to look at the queue to get a status of tickets, and _not_
want to get bombarded with the entire conversation about that ticket.

When I looked at RT3 a little more closely this past week, I did notice
the concept of "Personal Groups" and users being able to delegate rights
to members of that group. Unfortunately, either I'm missing something or
I cannot get this to do what I described before.

It would be exceedingly cool if I could put User_B into a personal group
for User_A, and have User_B automagically able to see User_A's tickets.
But, if I grant User_A ShowTickets, then they are able to see all the
tickets - even the ones that are not their own, which is certainly not
what we want.

So, am I missing something here with Personal Groups, and if so, can I
use them to do what I described?

Thanks,

--
Jeremy Doran <fox-rt_users at vulpes.net>