[rt-users] RT, or OTRS, or commercial?

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Thu May 15 15:12:15 EDT 2003

SK> I can't guarantee that RT is scaleable, but my impression is that
SK> it's largely dependent on your architecture.  Most of the
SK> bottleneck is CPU and I/O with the web server and the database, at
SK> least from what I've seen on the list.

I would find it difficult to think you could peg a web server CPU
under even heavy load unless you're running RT as a plain-jane CGI.
With a properly architected mod_perl or fast/speedy cgi setup, a
single pentium 3 class machine with 512Mb RAM should be able to handle
hundreds of requests per minute.

The bottleneck in this application is the database.  Having well-tuned
database (software *and* hardware) is vital.

If your database is going to get HUGE, go with PostgreSQL as it seems
to scale better in my experience.  Also, avoid linux with its 2Gb file
size limit, which will really cause you pain (especially if you're
using mysql).

Naturally, someone will say, "but that's fixed in version xyz of
mysql".  I don't care. ;-)