[rt-users] RT3/perl problem

Greg.Hering at bench.com Greg.Hering at bench.com
Thu May 15 15:59:05 EDT 2003

This may not be the *BEST* place for this, but... for a fresh RT install;

Are there people who run 'make fixdeps' and it works without ANY bugs?

I have had some packages that I can't install when trying to load the recommended updates (i.e. cpan> r)

I'm talking about uninstalling perl 5.005, which comes with my system, installing perl 5.8.0 and then trying to get all the latest packages.  After the install, run 'perl -MCPAN -eshell' and configure it for desired CPAN archives and local make and ftp utils, etc.  Then, I think it suggests you update the cpan module right away, which I do.  Then you ask for it's recommendations and start updating.  Is that too aggressive?

DBI, DBD and Apache bundles specifically HAVE to be installed and the non-total-perl-guru (me, et-others) cringe in dismay when the packages fail 'make test'.  The only general fix I've seen is making sure the LANG=en_US.

If this is widespread, maybe a list of known good packages, and a method to get those other than the default CPAN install, which gets the latest, should be developed.

What about archiving known goodies on a pub ftp site just for RT users?

What about a list of packages that fail testing but it's OK to force install.

Any thoughts (besides 'stop whining'!)?

Sincerely,

Greg

Gregory L. Hering