[rt-users] patch to enable email threading with RT 3.0.2

Daniel E. Eisenbud eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org
Tue May 20 22:01:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:50:21PM -0400, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:48:59PM -0400, Daniel E. Eisenbud wrote:
> > Oh, shoot.  I guess in practice you could get away with giving them all
> > the same message-id, much of the time, but it would be Wrong.
> >
> > So it seems to me, then, that it's not so much that adding a message-id
> > to web comments and replies is wrong, as that using a single message-id
> > per comment or reply, whether it comes from email or the web, is wrong.
> >
> > How many different message-ids can versions of a single comment go out
> > with?
>
> How many different scrips can you set up? Also, if we start doing VERP,
> that becomes one message per recipient.

But VERPed messages don't have to have different message-ids.  Do
they?!?

That aside, hmm.  Hmm hmm hmm.  I suppose that RT could keep a list, for
each transaction, of which message-id's corresponding to which scrips it
used, and then construct a custom references header per-scrip.  But
yuck, and anyway, I have a vague feeling that that would need schema
changes (but maybe not?)

Another option that would help mutt with my new threading code, but
probably not many other mailers, would be to just glom on all the
message-ids for a given transaction to the references header.  I don't
know if it would be an issue that it's a minor information leak about
how many different copies of the message are going out, and anyway it's
gross.

-Dan