[rt-users] patch to enable email threading with RT 3.0.2

Daniel E. Eisenbud eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org
Tue May 20 22:10:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:01:09PM -0400, Daniel E. Eisenbud <eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org> wrote:
> That aside, hmm.  Hmm hmm hmm.  I suppose that RT could keep a list, for
> each transaction, of which message-id's corresponding to which scrips it
> used, and then construct a custom references header per-scrip.  But
> yuck, and anyway, I have a vague feeling that that would need schema
> changes (but maybe not?)

Ah, but that's unnecessary, because RT can store one message-id per
transaction and then append the scrip number to it.  So if you have a
bunch of messages that went out via the same scrip, they get threaded
together.  And you can make the first reference be the absolute
message-id of the first comment, so the different scrip-specific
subthreads at least get threaded together at the top if you're receiving
mail on the ticket from more than one scrip.  Sound sane?  If
accumulating piles of reference headers are an issue, storagewise, each
transaction can just have a pointer to the message-id of its parent, and
RT can track back to construct a references header when it sends out
mail.

-Dan