[rt-users] Re: CA Client Certificates and RT 3.0.2???

David Z Maze dmaze at MIT.EDU
Wed May 21 11:16:20 EDT 2003

"Greg Boug" <gboug at unico.com.au> writes:

> I am having a bit of fun configuring RT. We use a client side
> certificate on the web browsers to provide additional security
> for accessing the RT site. That all works fine for providing
> web access...
>
> The problem is when an email is sent to a queue...

We use NIS-backed password authentication, but the same basic
concept.  RT_SiteConfig.pm has Set($WebExternalAuth, 1);, and Apache
hands RT a username via the REMOTE_USER environment variable.  On the
non-SSL side, we arrange to lie to RT: we have a non-privileged user
named 'guest', and REMOTE_USER is blindly set to this.  rt-mailgate
can then freely connect to the non-SSL side and feed in data that
way.  (I haven't gotten around to putting up interesting content in
the NoAuth directory, still.)

Our httpd.conf says:

<VirtualHost _default_:80>
  <Location /rt>