[rt-users] Remaining issues in RT 3.0.2's handling of international characters

Dirk Pape pape-rt at inf.fu-berlin.de
Fri May 23 06:15:12 EDT 2003

Hello Jesse, hello others,

--Am Dienstag, 20. Mai 2003 10:14 Uhr +0200 schrieb Dirk Pape
<pape-rt at inf.fu-berlin.de>:

> I start this thread to collect the observed issues still in RT 3.0.2 when
> handling international characters (like German Umlauts) in Emails or in
> the Web-Interface.
>
> This is the only group of issues that make me hesitating in making RT 3
> productive on my site.

is there any hope that the international character handling issues will be
tracked to their cause or resolved soon.

What can I do to support you?

I have only basic Perl knowledge but I am willing to dig into code as well
as to test it by using the application.

I conclude from other postings, there are many levels where character
handling can go wrong:

1. system configuration on server-side or client-side (LANG env. variable).
2. apache config
3. perl version
4. rt-config (EmailInput and OuputEncoding)
5. rt-mailgate (for incoming mail)
6. rt-autohandler (for incoming web)
7. ...?

Since resending mails does not reproduce the problem 2 I described, I
suspected web actions to be the cause of it. I dont know how to track them
properly, so I wonder how to try to reproduce them.

I just took a look into autohandler. In the conversion routine for %ARGS
there seems to be a case where a parameter is not encoded to unicode (if it
is defined but ne "ARRAY" and ne "HASH"). Can this be a cause to the
problem 2?

Thanks,
Dirk.