[rt-users] Re: [rt-devel] RT 3.02, Perl 5.6.1 and Unicode - any chance?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat May 24 18:18:38 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 03:08:28PM +0200, Stefan Seiz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My only problem is, emails sent from RT aren't encoded properly.
>
> For instance I have Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'iso-8859-1'); and when I
> email a ticket which contains umlauts (öäü), they seem to be encoded in
> utf-8 but get sent with an iso-8859-1 header (as instructed by
> $EmailOutputEncoding). When I switch my Email-Client's Charset to utf-8,
> that message displays umlauts correctly.

Known bug. It's the "big" item I want to fix before 3.0.3. There's no
way that mail containing both thai and german can be encoded as
iso-8859-1, to the best of my knowledge.   Should RT obey the user's
wishes and garble mail or should it try to be "smart" and force it to
utf-8?

> Given the above, I modified SendEmail.pm to constantly add a charset="utf-8"
> header - no matter what EmailOutputEncoding is set to. This is rather dirty,
> but fixed displaying emails correctly which contain umlauts and are sent
> from RT. However, as soon as had RT send an email which contained some THAI
> unicode chars, this of course didn't work. Neither the Thai characters nor
> the umlauts (which were in the same message) got displayed correctly in my
> mail-client.
>
> So my question is:
> Is there any chance of getting the Email-Encoding right while using Perl
> 5.6.1?

There's a chance, but I can't promise anything.