[rt-users] problem with authentication

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed May 28 08:16:07 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 02:00, Phil Homewood wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> >   1) nothing shows up on log even though I have:
> >       Set($LogToSyslog, 'debug');
> >       Set($LogToScreen, 'debug');
> >       Set($LogToFile,   'debug');
> >       Set($LogToFileNamed, '/opt/rt-3.0.2/var/log/rt.log');
>
> Have you restarted apache since configuring this?

Yes. For every change I did in configurations of rt I restarted apache.

> >   2) users seem to have _serious_ problems
> >      a) I can't change passwords (even root's)
>
> What version of Digest::MD5 do you have installed?
> Older versions are believed to cause behaviour similar to this.

Old enough as in the version included in perl 5.6.1? Probably. I
installed the news one from CPAN and it now works as expected.

> >         Going back to the root user, I try to see the list of users...
> >         The created users _is_not_listed_.
>
> Did you set the "Let this user access RT" and "Let this user be
> granted rights" checkboxes on this user?

I checked the 'Let this user access RT' but not the other one. I just
created a new user with both boxes checked (there _was_ still the
password problem). It now shows up, but but what's the difference
between privileged and non-privileged users other than not showing up in
the Users/Select User section? Maybe RTFM :)

> >         Looking at the database, the user is clearly there. I don't
> >         recognise the crypt method, which one is it? It doesn't seem to
> >         be md5, but it's not crypt either, so I can't even change the
> >         database value "by hand" in order to make tests.
>
> That really sounds like Digest::MD5 bogosity.

It was fortunately. I was really depressed, maybe a Digest::MD5 version
check should be added!

Thanks for your assistance, Rui
+ So let's do it...?