[rt-users] RT 3.0/mod_perl1 on debian stable/Woody

kenneth dombrowski kenneth at ylayali.net
Fri May 30 16:24:08 EDT 2003

Hi, I'm new to the list after becoming interested in RT after a mention
on debian-user a week or so ago. It seems a few people are struggling
with backporting RT3 to Woody, so I'm not alone. I've been at it for a
couple of days now, & I think I'm almost there, but I seem to be having
some problems with mod_perl

I created this VirtualHost directive block:

# /etc/apache/vhosts/rt.conf
<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName bugs.ylayali.net
  DocumentRoot /usr/share/request-tracker3/html
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
  PerlModule Apache::DBI
  # the following is line 18 of the error message below:
  PerlRequire /usr/share/request-tracker3/libexec/webmux.pl
  <Location />
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler RT::Mason
  </Location>
</VirtualHost>

And now 'apache -t' is giving me the following error:

 Processing config file: /etc/apache/vhosts/rt.conf
[Fri May 30 15:08:47 2003] [error] The following parameters were passed in the call to HTML::Mason::ApacheHandler::new but were not listed in the validation options: data_dir allow_globals args_method comp_root default_escape_flags
        Params::Validate::__ANON__('The following parameters were passed in the call to HTML::Mason:...') called at /usr/share/perl5/Params/Validate.pm line 244        Params::Validate::validate('ARRAY(0x89e7bf4)', 'HASH(0x8e21c28)') called at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm line 384
        HTML::Mason::ApacheHandler::new(undef, 'comp_root', 'ARRAY(0x8dab140)', 'args_method', 'CGI', 'default_escape_flags', 'h', 'allow_globals', ...) called at /usr/share/perl5/RT/Interface/Web.pm line 61
        RT::Interface::Web::NewApacheHandler() called at /usr/share/request-tracker3/libexec/webmux.pl line 108
        require /usr/share/request-tracker3/libexec/webmux.pl called at (eval 5) line 1
        eval 'require \'/usr/share/request-tracker3/libexec/webmux.pl\'
;' called at /usr/share/request-tracker3/libexec/webmux.pl line 0

Syntax error on line 18 of /etc/apache/vhosts/rt.conf:
[...]

Some versions:

Perl 5.6.1-8.2

mod_perl 1.26-3.0woody1

request-tracker3: 3.0.0-8
(built from debian/unstable source on debian/stable)

Params::Validate: 0.24-2
(unstable .deb downloaded & installed on stable with 'dpkg -i')

I noticed earlier in the process that the rt-test-dependencies script
required 0.02 of Params::Validate, but the version in Woody (0.04)
failed due to validate_options being undefined, which in fact was added
in 0.05 according to the changelog:

  0.05 Aug 23, 2001

  - Added Attribute::Params::Validate - do validation via attributes!

  - Rename set_options to validation_options.  This can now be exported
  safely and is included in the :all export tag.  set_options is
  deprecated and will be removed in a future release.  Thanks to Jon
  Swartz for the suggestion.

I notice too that CPAN is up to 0.59 for this module, could RT depend on
something a little more recent?

I ask rather than just trying to upgrade because, while I met several of
the other RT dependencies by installing modules directly from CPAN, the
request-tracker3 deb explicitly lists libparams-validate-perl as a
dependency and I will have to learn how to debanize a later version
before I can upgrade it

Alternatively, if you have another idea about what might be causing this
error, I would be grateful for any suggestion.

It is the first time I've tried to use mod_perl on this server (or
anywhere else), and I'm not really opposed to using fast-cgi -- at least
not until I see how slow it really is -- but have been trying to follow
the path of least resistence (i.e., more documentation) at least until I
get it working

Thanks in advance,
Kenneth

(actually the recent "RT3 speed thread" is tempting me to abandon .debs
altogether and install 3.0.3pre1 into /usr/local, but given the days
I've already invested I'd like to see if I can go the last mile with
debian's 3.0.0)