[rt-users] Accessing custom fields from templates

Graeme Pyle graeme at raspberry.co.za
Mon Nov 3 12:07:55 EST 2003

I eventually figured this out. To set custom field "n" from custom field
"m", include the line

CustomField-n: {$Tickets{'TOP'}->CustomFieldValues(m)->Next()->Content}

Note that custom fields are not referenced according to their absolute
positions in the queue (i.e. the first custom field in queue A does not
necessarily have id 1). Rather, id's are allocated sequentially across
all queues.

To find the id of a custom field, go to the edit page for that field in
the configuration and read it from the URL:
www.example.com/Admin/Queues/CustomField.html?Queue=3&CustomField=2

(id is 2 in this example)

Note that there is a problem with the code for setting the custom field.
See below

Cheers,
Graeme

--snip-snip--
Hi folks,

I found that RT 3.0.6 was unable to set custom fields from templates
because the regular expression used to match the key in the template
included a dash '-', which is automatically removed when the template is
parsed.

For example, you include "CustomField-3: hoohaa" in your template, but
RT strips the key to "customfield3" and not "customfield-3".

So, line 457 in "lib/RT/Action/CreateTickets.pm"

$key =~ /^customfield-(\d+)$/ or next;

should read

$key =~ /^customfield(\d+)$/ or next;

instead (dash removed).