[rt-users] I am confused

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Nov 4 23:46:34 EST 2003

> anyways,   I guess some feedback from someone who's set up an
> RT server on
> RH9 would be very appreciated here.

OK, I did the following:

Firstly, I tried to stick with the standard RPMs where possible.

For Apache, I used the standard Red Hat RPMs.

For mod_perl, I rebuilt 1.99_09 from the Rawhide sources. Had to tweak the
spec file to allow it to rebuild with the version number of Apache Red Hat
uses.  There are a few development libraries required here, so might mean
installing a few RPMs.

HTML::Mason was the other sticking point.  I did find an RPM for Red Hat 9,
which has proved to work well in practice.  Look back through the archives
in the last couple of weeks for details on where to get the HTML::Mason RPM.
This will save unending grief with battling Apache::Request... :-)

Also, I strongly recommend the use of APT (yes, the same APT as Debian uses,
but ported for RPM) for RPM on your Red Hat box.  You can find it at
http://freshrpms.net.  I'd suggest running

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

before starting the rest of the installation.  You will then be able to
apt-get install any needed RPMs.

Expect a bit of fiddling with dependencies.  Also, make sure you turn off
UTF encoding in Perl, or some of the CPAN module installs will barf.  UTF
support in Perl is rather broken anyway.

To do this, you need to edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n and change the line that
says

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

and simply drop the .UTF-8, so it reads

LANG="en_US"

Of course, non US people will have a different language, mine says "en_AU".
:)

Once this is done, reboot to ensure it takes effect system wide.

Finally, once RT is installed, don't forget to tweak the Apache conf file to
tell the server to load index.html when no file is requested.  This appeared
in the archives in the last week (I posted it myself).  Just to workaround a
bug in mod_perl.

All that said and done, I'm happy with how my installation is performing.