[rt-users] I am confused

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Wed Nov 5 09:49:36 EST 2003

I hope you get more responses than I did, when I asked
similar questions about RH 8.0.

I spent 2 or 3 weeks trying to make RH 8 regress to
mod_perl1 and Apache1.  I've been a Sun sys admin for 5
years or so, and have a good understanding of installing
packages and configuring Unix boxes.

However, with RedHat 8, it was not as simple as just
removing Apache and mod_perl and then compiling from new
source.  It should be, but it wasn't.

If someone can send you step by step, go for it.
 Otherwise, as a person who just spent 6 weeks slugging
away with RH8, I recommend regressing to RH 7.3.  A very
kind soul forwarded this procedure to me (I uploaded it and
make it available, however I won't attach it since this
email goes to hundreds of people)
http://schube.com/upload/RT+RedHat+Installation.doc

I haven't doctored it yet, however, I changed all
references to RT2 to RT3.  Apache shows compiling from
/tmp, however if you followed earlier steps, its in
/usr/src (so compile from whereever you actually put the
source). I believe the Apache step also skips the make
install.  Finally, when you get to the configuration, I
used the RT documentation in combination with their
suggestions.

I had it working in one day (after figuring out the CPAN
module DBD::MySQL needed a third RPM, MySQL development,
installed in addition to Client and Server RPMs), although
I need to go back and make sendmail work.  I am very weak
in sendmail skills (a good excuse to go get the O'Reilly
book).

Good luck.
John