[rt-users] I am confused

Mike Frazer Michael.Frazer at InterCept.Net
Wed Nov 5 11:11:55 EST 2003

My recommendation is that, if you want to install via RPMs, that you don't
install things by default in Redhat.  Install only what you need to get up
and going, and then download the absolute latest versions for everything.

I personally have had bad luck with RPMs anyway, so whenever possible I
install from source.  Call me old-fashioned.

For Perl components, though, I've found it to be good practice to install
from source.  Nothing seems to go to the right place with the RPMs in my
experience.  Use CPAN to install Perl modules, its just that much safer.  If
it fails to install through CPAN, you may need to work with your environment
variables (for instance, one that gets in the way a lot on RedHat is the
LANG environment variable, which causes problems during installs if it is
set to "en_US.xxxx"; change this one to just "en_US" if you have any
installation troubles).

-----Original Message-----
From: Walt Reed [mailto:rt at linuxguy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 10:36 AM
To: John Schubert
Cc: rt-users at lists.fsck.com; nemir nemiria
Subject: Re: [rt-users] I am confused

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:49:36AM -0800, John Schubert said:
> I hope you get more responses than I did, when I asked
> similar questions about RH 8.0.
>
> I spent 2 or 3 weeks trying to make RH 8 regress to
> mod_perl1 and Apache1.  I've been a Sun sys admin for 5
> years or so, and have a good understanding of installing
> packages and configuring Unix boxes.
>
> However, with RedHat 8, it was not as simple as just
> removing Apache and mod_perl and then compiling from new
> source.  It should be, but it wasn't.

Your right, it SHOULD be, but isn't.

Basically what I did on RH8 is dump the redhat binaries for just about
everything (apache, mod_perl, perl, mysql) and install from source in
/usr/local. I did cheat a little and install mysql from the RPM's
provided at mysql.com (the mysql version with rh8 is too old.)

I tend to NOT use vendor supplied binaries for a lot of my core
software. Besides being able to compile exactly the versions / options I
want, I also have the ability to take MY code and upgrade the OS under
and have a reasonable expectation that things will still work (with a
recompile as a possibility. It may help to compile things statically if
this is your goal.)