[rt-users] Performance (speed) of RT3

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Tue Nov 18 04:38:02 EST 2003

I've read the docs, searched the list archives and looked through Linux
books, but I'm still trying to figure out why RT takes about 1-2 minutes
to create a ticket.  Other tasks take awhile, but those are less time
sensitive for the RT users.  Is this normal behavior? and will updating
to .07 help?

I'm running RH 7.3 with Apache 1.3.29, mod_perl-1.29, MySQL 4.0.16.
I've ran top, while users query, and don't see anything max out (CPU,
load, memory usage, etc).

Here is a snapshot of how the system looks during slow response.
up 1 day, XX:XX, 1 users, load average 0.08, 0.18, 0.30
121 processes: 118 sleeping 3 running 0 zombie 0 stopped
CPU States: 1.3% usr, 0.9% system, 0.0% nice 98.2% idle
Mem:   125372K av,  121600K used,   3748K free,  0k shrd, 1476K buff
Swap:  257000K av,  208860K used,  48140K free            280922K cached

MySQL and Httpd pop in and out of the top 10, but never more than 10%
mem or CPU.  Where else can I look for the performance hit?

Here is the sequence I followed during installation:
Complete Server install of RH 7.3
Removed any RPMs from RH for Apache (conf, manual, devel, etc)and
mod_perl
unzip & untar & install MySQL 4.0.16
unzip & untar apache and Mod_Perl
Makefile mod_perl with USE_APACI, PREP_HTTPD and EVERYTHING = 1
make and make install mod_perl
configure apache with  activate-module=libperl.a
make and make install apache
installed CPAN modules
installed RT-3-0-6

Nothing else is running on this machine.  Slow response was seen with no
applications running other than Gnome desktop, which at the time didn't
have any children hogging up CPU in the top 10 either.

Thanks for any help,
John