[rt-users] Performance (speed) of RT3

John Jasen jjasen at datafoundation.com
Thu Nov 20 13:03:59 EST 2003

On 18 Nov 2003, John Schubert wrote:

> So, I'm still not sure what I should do next.  I understand the idea of
> getting more free RAM, however I'd hate to throw money at more memory
> and find that I'm slow with 125Meg free memory space.  What do you
> think?

If this machine is only used for RT, and there are only 3 people using it,
setting the max servers to something like 5 should be reasonable. You can
also play with the MaxRequestsPerChild value until you get a comfortable
balance between performance and memory usage from leakage (mine, on a 1GB
system doing entirely too much else, is 500).

If you're using mysql as your database, mysql 4 (I'm not sure about 3) is
faster if you use innodb tables, and you can tune it for how much system
resources it can gobble up.

Hope that helps. Before tuning, my system was constantly running out of
memory and RT was painfully slow. It now can keep 15-30MB free depending
on other things, and RT is decently responsive.