[rt-users] Performance (speed) of RT3

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Sun Nov 23 14:23:08 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 18:48, John Jasen wrote:
> performance tuning is an art, not necessarily a science, and involves a
> lot of knob twiddling, testing, twiddling and testing, twiddling and
> testing ...
>
> And then your requirements change. :(

Just wanted to thank everyone for the inputs.  I popped the cover on my
machine and found I'd been given a P1 CPU-based computer.  A second
computer, which was originally going to be a desktop running Win2k, had
P3 450Mhz with 256 Meg of RAM, and so I just swapped drives over.  So in
effect I upgraded Linux to the P3 & 256 MB RAM and we'll see what m$
does with the slow P1 CPU & 128 MB RAM.

Cutting to the chase, performance drastically increased and memory is
now doubled.  RH complained about new devices, but it was fairly easy to
delete old configs and set new ones.  I will still tweak Apache and
mod_Perl, based on the recommendations here and the links.  Finally,
I'll get more performance by moving this server to a closet/bare desk
and not running X/Gnome.

Thanks again,
John