[rt-users] RT3 Truncating attachments

Steve Wampler sbw at tapestry.tucson.az.us
Wed Oct 1 11:26:22 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 06:17:29AM -0700, Steve Wampler wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 01:49, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
> > Krzysztof Jagiello wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I've read through attachment related posts, but they don't seem to
> > > apply to my case.
> > >
> > > We are running RT 3.0.4/postgres/RedHat 8.0 configuration. Maximum
> > > attachment size is set to 10MB, TruncatingLongAttachments is set to
> > > 'undef'. All the attachments of any type sent to RT via email, end up
> > > truncated to approximately 4k (in tests I did it varied from 3.8k to
> > > 4.8k).
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate any suggestions.
> > > Thanks, Kris
> > >

> > In August there were posts on mailing list about Postgres internal
> > limits. Also it was in RT docs somewhere.
> > Look at pg manual.
> > mySQL have such limit.
> >     Best regards. Ruslan.
>
> RedHat 8 comes with postgresql 7.2, which has *no* practical limit
> on the size of a text field (ok, there's a limit, but it's in the
> multi-gigabyte range (2 or 4GB)) - at least according to the PG
> documentation for 7.2.
>
> However, that's not to say that the perl interface to postgres might
> not have a limit - has anyone looked at that?
>
> The attachments are stored in postgres as 'text' fields, which have
> the 'unlimited' size capacity mentioned above in PG 7.2.

I check Krzysztof's RT database and the problem doesn't appear to be
with the database itself - there are certainly large attachments
in the database:

rt3=# select char_length(content) from attachments where char_length(content) > 500000;
 char_length
 -------------
       565043
       565043
       565043
(3 rows)

And, using a non-perl program, I can read out such large entries.

In fact, using the web interface I can create tickets with large
attachments with *no* problem - and later download of the attachment
from the web page also works fine.  So the problem appears to be
with the email interface - not with the database.

Any ideas from the RT list?

--
Steve Wampler     {sbw at tapestry.tucson.az.us}
The gods that smiled upon your birth are laughing now. -- fortune cookie