[rt-users] Debian/Linux: [error] Unknown exception abbreviation 'compilation_error' at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Exceptions.pm line 91

Simon J. Hernandez simon at w3.org
Fri Oct 10 13:40:28 EDT 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Stephen Quinney wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:29:28AM -0400, Simon J. Hernandez wrote:

> > /usr/share/html seemed to have the necessary components, but
> > /usr/share/lib only contained webmux.pl, which is OK since I am using
> > mod_perl.
>
> Check:
>
> /usr/share/request-tracker3
> /usr/share/perl5/RT

I didn't check the last one noted.  Thanks for the hint.

> /etc/request-tracker3
>
> for the majority of the files. A useful command to see where stuff
> went after install is:
>
> dpkg -L request-tracker3

Check.  I was lazy.

I did do dpkg -l request-tracker3.  I noted that the output seemed to
reflect, to my limited understanding, that the install was somehow
unfinished (I think it reflected un or ui (if that's possible)).  My guess
is if I had taken a few minutes I could have easily corrected this.
Interestingly enough now, it reflects ii for 3.0.4-3.  The running version
is 3.0.6.

> > Not having any experience with this, and not seeing any documentation on
> > this point in the README or Draft Manual, my lame perceptions lead me to
> > my conclusions.  Considering that many Linux users are Debian users as
> > well, it might be good to document this somewhere.  I have perused the
> > archives, but don't seem to see this noted.  I could be wrong, but I
> > don't.
>
> The best way to start with any complex Debian package you've just
> installed is to look for
> /usr/share/doc/<package-name>/README.Debian. In this case the file:

Yeah, I normally know better.  I admittedly was rushed in this case as I
was trying to get this done in a couple of spare hours (a rare
occurrence).

The README.Debian file is, in fact, very useful.

> /usr/share/doc/request-tracker3/README.Debian
>
> which in turns points you to:
>
> /usr/share/doc/request-tracker3/INSTALL.Debian.gz
>
> which contains, an ever growing, detailed set of instructions on how
> to install and configure RT3 on Debian (all comments, bugs,
> improvements readily accepted)
>
> > I apt-get'd the request-tracker3 package.  I did not notice,
> > unfortunately, that the config stuff was in /etc/request-tracker3.  My
> > boneheadedness there.  Thanks for the pointer.
> >

> On a Debian system packages nearly always put all the configuration
> files into either /etc or /etc/<package-name> so it's the best place
> to look first.

Yep, and I knew this.  Thus the boneheadedness.

[...]

> > ... I did need
> > to install some mods that were not existant on my system prior to the
> > install.  I should note, I did not have apache running on this machine
> > prior to the install, so several of the necessary modules would not likely
> > have been present.
>
> Can you remember which modules were not already present? If they were
> not there it is a bug that I would like to get fixed before
> sarge/testing becomes sarge/stable.

Looking in /root/.cpan/build (I didn't create a history file) I see the
following:

Apache-DBI-0.92
DBI-1.38
FCGI-0.67
WWW-Mechanize-0.60

There are a few other things, but they are mostly related to upgrades of
my local perl (CPAN) environment.

Keep in mind, I did this after I installed the 3.0.6 version.  I don't
know if the same issue would have surfaced with the 3.0.4-3 version
installed with apt-get.  It would have probably worked fine if I had
been more patient.

> I hope you have better luck with our Debian package of
> request-tracker3 next time.

I am sure I will.  Next time I will actually think before I go further.
Thanks to all of the patient replies I have received thus far, I am sure
the next install will be relatively trivial.

Thanks to all for your kind patience.

Simon

--
Simon J. Hernandez    |    http://people.w3.org/simon/    |   simon at w3.org