[rt-users] postgres slowdowns? (pg 7.3.4, rt 3.0.4)

Carl Gibbons cgibbons at du.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:41:50 EDT 2003

Jesse Vincent wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:12:41PM +0100, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>

>>for what it's worth, i'm consistently annoyed at mail server or client
>>software that destroys case...
>>
>>this probably isn't relevant to the RT case in question, but still:
>>while it's fine for RT to ignore case, it should preserve it.
>>

>Right. Whcih is exactly what it does right now. And I don't intend to
>change it anytime soon.

Unfortunately, this issue is a showstopper. For months now, I have
been trying to figure out how to solve RT3's abysmal PostgreSQL
performance.

As I reported a month ago on this list, the "10 highest priority
tickets I own" query takes 35 seconds on my ticket database. I got
excited after reading Justin Hawkin's 12 Oct. discovery that removing
the lower() function speeds up the query, and even more excited when
I verified that the query on my data with the "lower()" function
removed takes 0.3 seconds. Alas, it looks like Jesse won't consider
this improvement to be an acceptable tradeoff anytime soon. <wink!>

Should we PostgreSQL users just give up trying to use our preferred
database backend, and use MySQL instead? Or may we expect the same
performance with MySQL?

-- Carl Gibbons, Network Security Engineer, University of Denver