[rt-users] External Authentication in RT??

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Oct 21 13:04:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 11:16, Stevo wrote:
> Is is possible to authenticate users that logon to the RT3 WebUI against an
> AD domain??  Or even an LDAP server??  Right now I'm maintaining a number of
> user databases (RT website, Support website etc) and I'd like to integrate
> them all using a single authentication protocol.

If you are using a platform that supports PAM you can
configure PAM for system-level authentication, then use
mod_auth_pam for apache authentication.  I'm using that
against an NT domain controller with pam configured to
use SMB (on RedHat you can set this up with authconfig).

For system logins to work you still have to create the
user accounts, but for http you can specify:
account  required  pam_permit.so
for the account section to allow any user that
can authenticate.

This should keep working even if the PAM layer changes
to LDAP or some other authentication method.

  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com