[rt-users] RT for bug tracking?

Sean Perry sean.perry at intransa.com
Tue Oct 28 15:17:18 EST 2003

Jesse Vincent wrote:

>>All I could see in RT was the flat queue structure.
>

> Are you saying that Bugzilla provides simple ways to set ACLs at the
> sub-project level? That's actually interesting, if it's the case.
>
> When I've played with bugzilla, all I've seen is the semi-hardcoded
> "Component" field, which has felt largely identical to an RT custom
> field.  What does it get you that I'm missing?
>
> 	-jesse

On a ticket in our bugzilla I see:

Product
Component
Status
Platform
OS
Version
Priority
Severity
Milestone
Reporter
Assigned To
Summary
Keywords

and then the history.

The product and component are the project / sub-project level I was
referring to.

As I said in my initial mail to this thread, RT can probably recreate
everything we have in bugzilla.  However, engineering sees no benefit to
taking the time to modify and tweak RT just to get it to the state
bugzilla is at.

Oh yeah, I remember the other complaint.  The priority in RT is defined
by numbers which have no intrinsic meaning.  They preferred the
high,medium,low (and minor, serious, showstopper) style of bugzilla and
other bug systems.

Meanwhile RT solves the needs of IT quite well and we are happy.