[rt-users] RT for bug tracking?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Oct 28 15:25:48 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:17:18PM -0800, Sean Perry wrote:

> On a ticket in our bugzilla I see:
>
> Product
> Component
> Status
> Platform
> OS
> Version
> Priority
> Severity
> Milestone
> Reporter
> Assigned To
> Summary
> Keywords
>
> and then the history.
>
> The product and component are the project / sub-project level I was
> referring to.

*nod* The RT philosophy is very much that every site wants different
metadata, so our custom fields are just that--custom. They're designed
to be easy to add and change as your workflow changes. It's not really
something that requires "modifying" so much as simple point and click
configuration.

> Oh yeah, I remember the other complaint.  The priority in RT is defined
> by numbers which have no intrinsic meaning.  They preferred the
> high,medium,low (and minor, serious, showstopper) style of bugzilla and
> other bug systems.

*nod* Again, this is a case where a "Severity" custom field with a
drop-down list of your set of priorities would work nicely. there's
no reason you have to use the built-in integer priority system at all.

All that being said, if they're happy with bugzilla, they're happy with
bugzilla. There's no need to move away from a system that meets all of
your needs.

> Meanwhile RT solves the needs of IT quite well and we are happy.

I'm glad. :)